“The Back Nine”
By: Pops | : 946
You know, time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my wife.
But, here it is: the “back nine” of my life, and it catches me by surprise. How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go?
I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me. It felt like “I was only on the first hole,” and the “back nine” was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.
But, here it is. My friends are retired and getting gray. They move slower, and I see an older person now. Some are in better shape and some are in worse shape than me, but I see the great change. They were not like the people that I remembered, young and vibrant. Like me, their age is beginning to show, and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd become.
Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! Taking a nap is not a treat anymore, it’s mandatory! If I don’t take one on my own free will I just fall asleep where I sit!
And so now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains, the loss of strength, and the ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know that although I’m on the “back nine” and I’m not sure how long it will last, this I know: when it’s over on this earth, it’s over. A new adventure will begin! Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done, things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I’m happy to have done. It’s all in a lifetime.
So, if you’re not on the “back nine” yet, let me remind you that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life, please do it soon! Don’t put things off too long!! Life goes by quickly. Do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether you’re on the “back nine” or not!
You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life. Live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember, and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!
“Life” is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one.
LIVE IT WELL! ENJOY TODAY! DO SOMETHING FUN! BE HAPPY! HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Remember, “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”
LASTLY, CONSIDER THIS:
- Your kids are becoming you, but your grandchildren are perfect!
- Going out is good.. Coming home is better!
- You forget names, but it’s OK because other people forgot they even knew you!!!
- You realize you’re never going to be really good at anything...especially golf.
- The things you used to care to do, you no longer care to do, but you really do care that you don’t care to do them anymore.
- You miss the days when everything worked with just an “ON” and “OFF” switch.
- You tend to use more 4 letter words like “what?” “when?”
- Now that you can afford expensive jewelry, it’s not safe to wear it anywhere.
- You notice everything they sell in stores is “sleeveless”?!!!
- Everybody whispers.
- You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet, 2 of which you will never wear.
But Old is good in some things: old Songs, old movies, and best of all, OLD FRIENDS!!
Stay well, “OLD FRIEND!” It’s Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.
Share This Page
About the Author