Chocolate Zucchini Bread
By: Jae Onasi | : 767
My grandma, Thelma Hart, passed away this summer at the venerable age of 88. She absolutely adored chocolate. A couple summers ago when I had a mountain of zucchini taking over my garden, she gave me this recipe. I baked up a couple loaves and took some down to Arkansas to share with her when we visited with her on vacation. We scarfed it down while talking and playing Uno. Even people who say they don’t like zucchini will love this bread.
- 3 cups shredded raw zucchini (about 1 lb)
- 2 cup flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup canola oil1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9x5 loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice in a bowl, and set aside. Mix together sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil, and extracts until well blended and light yellow.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into the pans.
- Bake about 55-65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, and then remove from the pan, cool completely before serving.
Share This Page
About the Author